What is My Memory Stick in RAW Format
When Windows marks a memory stick as being in a RAW format, it means all the files such as music, photos, videos, and documents are inaccessible. When you check the property of the RAW memory stick, it may tell you that there are data inside, but cannot read it; or it may show you 0 byte of this memory stick. Memory stick RAW may occur caused by many different reasons that range from memory stick itself corruption to human wrong operation. General speaking, it may include the following:
2. Accidentally take out the memory stick when the data is being transferred.
3. Remove the memory stick when the data is being written
4. Memory stick is corrupted because it is infected with virus.
Software to Recover Data from RAW memory stick
#1 Data Recovery
Software to restore data off usb drive, memory card, pen drive, hard disk, external drive etc.
How to use: best disk recovery software for step by step guide
Freeware to Recover Data from RAW Memory Stick
Once your memory stick is in RAW format, the first and most important thing you have to do is to stop using the memory stick to prevent it from being overwritten, which may make all the files inside your memory stick erased forever. Then you can fix the memory stick RAW problem by using memory stick recovery software, which is free and is capable of recover any data from RAW memory stick.
Step1. Plug your memory stick into USB port of your PC, download the free memory stick recovery software and install it on your PC.
Step2. Select the proper module for your case, highlight the memory stick and click "Recover" option. It will take a few minutes or more to scan your memory stick for the lost data.
Step3. After scan, you can see all the found files listed in the task Window. Mark the files and click "Files Preview" to preview the found files before recovering.
Step4. Mark all the files you want to recover and choose a path folder to save the recovered data, and then click the "Recover" option.
Step5. Format your memory stick when all the files are recovered.
The data recovery software is also available for unrecognized SD card data recovery when it has unsupported RAW file system and shows blank. And you can use the software to recover files from not formatted CF card.
Is It Necessary to Format RAW Memory Stick or Drive
The fastest way to fix RAW memory stick is to format it, but the data inside will be lost. When you want to do a data recovery from a RAW memory stick, it is not necessary to format it. The right operation should be to recover data first. Why you should do so? In fact, when memory stick becomes RAW, the data is still stored there. If you format the memory stick, you may lose the chance to recover the data inside.
All Tips Fixing RAW Memory Stick
1. Avoid your memory stick being overwritten.
2. Don’t format RAW memory stick if you want to recover the data inside.
3. Save recovered files to other storage media like hard disk in case of being overwritten.
4. Don’t forget backup important data timely.
Users That Run into USB Memory Stick RAW Format
1. When I insert a memory stick, an error message pops up that tells me my memory stick is RAW format. I also run ChkDsk on it and it still tells me it is RAW format. What should I do? I have important data in the memory stick.
2. How can I get back the files from a RAW memory stick? I don’t know why it becomes RAW, do I still have chance to recover the files? My husband has many important files in it. I need help!